The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Heater control stuck on cold....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34
    Experienced TGC Member

Heater control stuck on cold....

Well for a while now, ive been hearing a rattling sound coming from the dashboard whenever i switched the heater from Cold to Hot. Well about an hour ago the sound stopped. And now my Heater only blows out cold air. No more hot air. Not even some what warm air. Icy cold air. Any clue as to what the hell the problem is? Id like ot ifnd out soon. Hopefully i can fix this problem before monday (last day to get my NY Inspection done). As it is, i have to service all 4 brakes, and do a tranny flush, get a new Altenator & Timing belt, and prolly change out the Spark plugs. But back to the issue at hand.....any advice or suggestions as to wtf is going on here?

*BTW i cant wait until i get rid of this f*cking Galant. All ive had with this damn car since the moment i drove it off the lot is nothing but bad luck.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    How many miles on that badboy? Maybe the thingamajiggy is stuck on cold, maybe the cable got loose, or it could be the whatchamacallit down behind the glovebox and dash. You might know what im talking about but im tongue tied on the names right now.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Experienced TGC Member
    bronxbombr Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many miles on that badboy? Maybe the thingamajiggy is stuck on cold, maybe the cable got loose, or it could be the whatchamacallit down behind the glovebox and dash. You might know what im talking about but im tongue tied on the names right now.
    Ive got about 75k on the clock right now. Ive already bought the Galant repair book from Advanced Auto. Ima flip through it tomorrow, but i dont know what im looking for to fix.

PurpleHaze
    Same thing happened to me about a week ago, but I didn't notice any wierd sounds. You should try turning the hot/cold knob really hard back and forth a bunch of times. I got this advice from ericbla03, this fixed his problem too.

heater shut off valve??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    heater shut off valve??
    I don't know if this is the problem. I looked for 2 hour to find that thing and basically removed the dash and it was not there. I had the pic that Manybrews sent me but I saw nothing. The problem was a loose clip that holds the climate control wire in the unit.

yeah, its a heater shut of valve that has now totally failed.

AstroStrat89
    Just got my 03' GTZ and there is quite a bit of noise when ajusting the hot/cold air mixture.

anyone else had this issue? any other advise?

AstroStrat89
    Yep, no heat this morning. Well, at leat the noise stopped. :-( Tried a few times to restart the car when I got to work and nothing. I hope the dealer will take a look when I go for the "free" oil change.

2002GMS
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    heater shut off valve??
    I was having the same issue of no heat. For some reason! It started working again. But before that happened. I had the same weird rattling noise as well in the dash. Then about two days ago, the nosie came one again when I started my car, and now I have no heat. How do you control the heat shut off valve. Or how do u fix this?

AstroStrat89

I am still without heat for 3 days now, seems like mine is pretty well stuck for good. My wife is going to call the dealer to see if they will look at it, the general warranty is up but geez I haven't even made the 1st payment yet.

If not I did find the repair manual and may take a crack at it my self. My guess right now is it that its the heater air flow shutoff door getting stuck.

Glad it's not cold yet.

2002GMS
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroStrat89
    I am still without heat for 3 days now, seems like mine is pretty well stuck for good. My wife is going to call the dealer to see if they will look at it, the general warranty is up but geez I haven't even made the 1st payment yet.

If not I did find the repair manual and may take a crack at it my self. My guess right now is it that its the heater air flow shutoff door getting stuck.
    Glad it's not cold yet.
    DAMN! Let me know if you get this figured out. I need to get this fixed before it get BRICK CITY!!!!

AstroStrat89
    The dealer has agreed to check it out, but did not commit to fix it for free. Our arugment was that it was hot weather when we test drove and did not check the heater, but would not have bought the car if it was bad.

we shall see.

AstroStrat89
    Well the dealer is going to fix it for free :)
    But the part does not come in til next week :-(
    Here in Ohio it's getting chilly on the ride into work :-(
    this morning I got the heat to work :)
    now I am too scared to turn it off :(

Major props go out to Buckeye Nissan in Columbus Ohio. They have more then taken care of me when they could have just said "sorry, it was sold 'as is""

I'll be going back when we need a van next year.

dehlmann
    I have had this problem for the past two winters. The noise behind the dash and heater stuck on clold. The only thing I have found to fix the problem was switching between hot and cold several times. This works most of the time but I would like to fix the problem for good. What did the dealership say was the problem? What parts are the replacing?

AstroStrat89
    They replaced the heater control motor, an it’s apparently in deep into the dash. I don’t have a break down but they stated that it would have cost me $225 to fix it. I am guessing most in labor.

anyone know how difficult it is to replace the heater shut off valve, and how much it costs to buy a new one?

tuesday was a cold, cold morning, and i started the car. didnt turn on the heat and waited until the car warmed up.

turned on the heat, got the same noise like the others. heat ran for about 10 minutes, then got ice cold.

turned the switch from hot to cold a couple of times, and it came back on.

then it did the exact same thing yesterday :(

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

have u all fixed your heating problems ???,

i have no heat as well, the best i get in a little more than cold temp for a couple of minutes . and i have to turn the temp. wheel to coldest and hold it there

i dont have any ratling but the temp. wheel is hard to turn like its blocking,theres this clicking sound when it does turn ( could the wire but stuck or too stretched?? , i had to remove the center bracket and all of the lower dash , so i had access to all the ahrness, grounds and wires,

i did remove the entire heating console ( not the unit behind the glove box, but i did remove the plastic cover that connects the AC unit to the heating unit.

i removed all the aluminium pipes for the AC , dont need it up here , wanted to remove the ac unit and compressor ( less weight)

i unplugged the 2 plastic heating hoses that goes through the firewall ( for the prestone ) but i plugged em back in correctly

the AC housing unit was damaged , the lower box above the rad was cracked and a plastic piece fell of ( had to make space for the ratchet )

i plugged all of the sensor back but maybe i forgot one
    or maybe could it be the AC housing?
    or the removed aluminium pipes?

what could i have done to screw up my heating???

some help would be nice

todays temperature was - 29 C
    tomorrow is supposed to be near - 40 C

thats inhumane temperature without heating!!!!

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

go by the gas pedal. the plastic piece that turns the thing from cold to hot came off and you will have to turn the little plastic circle by hand. the piece seems very cheap it might work for you, it worked for me :D

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

ya i know what you mean, i checked and its still there

i can actually hear the little gear moving around in the plastic , but , as soon as i reach the Hot part of the temp wheel i cant hear it anymore, so my guess is i inserted it in the wrong place so i can only control the temp partially

its all good info for futur G's

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast