The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8g: Replacing spark plug oil seals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21
    Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar

8g: Replacing spark plug oil seals

Well for the past couple of days, i've had some serious leaking in my sparkplug wells... and i did posts the problem for possible answers.. and the only possible explanation would be the oil seals.. well here's a quick tutorial.. it was quite simple..

spark plug oil seals.. $14.00 from the dealer.. got it for $9.50 by hookups got me all 4 btw.

first take apart you spark plug assembly.. then detach your valve cover by slightly tapping on it with a rubber mallet or a hammer with the valve cover covered with a towel or cushion..
    taking it apart with either a channel lock wrench or a flat head screw driver.. should just snap right off..

place the new seal on top of the sp wells and tap slightly to flush it in even.

all 4 in

little snacking makes the work faster.. hehehehe

that's it!!

then place you valve cover back on.. might be lifted or might have a little gap. but that's ok due to the new seals.. if you have the extra cash, you might want to get new gasket lining. tighten it up evenly then check for leaks.. since i didn't replace my gasket, i'm closley watching out for leaks.. hopefully, i won't get any.. hope this help..
    Last edited by Prophet; 01-27-2011 at 09:14 PM

very nice good job :D :smt023
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

I was always told one should change valve cover gaskets each and every time the cover is removed.

i really hope it wont leak. gasket is a problem since what i heard. what mileage were you on when you changed the seals?

now that i have seent his done im going to go ahead and go for it this weekend. ill replace the spark plug seals and the gasket. tutorial pics to come
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

i was at 105K.. so far so good no leaks.. cross my fingers.. gotta do brakes tonight.. damn man.. i hate being off..

egh replacing the valve cover gasket its a simple procedure, if you leak get a new one and install is a snap. just did my spark plug seals and gasket, took me all but 45 min, cuz i also painted my cover red.
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

Quote Originally Posted by jake26
    egh replacing the valve cover gasket its a simple procedure, if you leak get a new one and install is a snap. just did my spark plug seals and gasket, took me all but 45 min, cuz i also painted my cover red.
    i dont know i would say its more of a pain in the ass to replace
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

nah luke... took me about the same time as jake.. but i snack alot so could've been faster.. but to jake, i've been kinda short on cash so i really don't want to replace anything that would still work.. yah know what i mean..

Experienced TGC Member
    Have any of you guys experienced a leaking valve cover? I figure the vacuum would prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    Have any of you guys experienced a leaking valve cover? I figure the vacuum would prevent that.
    im thinking thats where mine was leaking from as i was losing oil, so it was either leaking there or im burning oil im not sure which but it seems fine now of course
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    but to jake, i've been kinda short on cash so i really don't want to replace anything that would still work.. yah know what i mean..

yeah man no worries, since u know how to do it, so it will be a breeze..
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64

thanks jake.. wonder if this should be in the tutorial section... mods please move.. or is it worthy.. try and also make a tutorial on changing brake pads tonight if i can.. hehehehe.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Moved.

Make sure you add: When reinstalling the valve cover, do not overtighten the valve cover bolts or you will either crush the gasket or crack the valve cover! I know the DOHC cover only needs 2-3ft/lbs, I think the SOHC cover is more like 7-8ft/lbs of torque. And when you are tightening hte bolts, do it in a criss cross pattern.
    7g for life!

thanks seth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Moved.

Make sure you add: When reinstalling the valve cover, do not overtighten the valve cover bolts or you will either crush the gasket or crack the valve cover! I know the DOHC cover only needs 2-3ft/lbs, I think the SOHC cover is more like 7-8ft/lbs of torque. And when you are tightening hte bolts, do it in a criss cross pattern.
    thats exactly the way i did it, and i think my bolts will be ok, since there is about 4-5 more turns i can do to really tighten the bolts, but of course i wont do it..hahah
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64

just finished doing mine. took about 5 hours for everything cause i put new rotors and pads up front and did a lot of cleaning.

i bought a torque wrench just for this as i read it needed that. it's 3.4Nm, and 25Nm for the spark plugs. Not sure about feet/inches but my wrench does both and I found Nm easier to read. 2.4SOHC 4G64.
    2003 ES 2.4L - 150k - Stock
    tranny flush, timing belt, tensioner replacement at 80k

I just did mine in 10 minute 11 tops wife kept asking why I was taking the engine apart ..again.. anyway would like to add I put some silver rtv around the inside of the seals where they meet he plug tubes and the top where they meet the cover just a littlejust because

If you re-used your valve cover gasket, it would be a good idea to also line it with a little bit of that stuff too.

Why would anyone reuse a valve cover gasket??

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast