The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Black Paint Settlement

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Black Paint Settlement

For those of you who have/had the black paint/clearcoat delamination issue, there has been
    a proposed class-action lawsuit settlement.
    Read about it here:
    http://www.mitsubishiblackpaintsettlement.com/
    I recieved my official documents today. Anyone else?
    -- John --
    2001 Black Galant GTZ (Sold 5/18/2015)

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    I have moved since I finished paying the car there is no information on the site about getting the documents either.

NVM I found it.

now does delamination mean that the clear lifts from the color? in a pealing form? cause mine does not peal but it is white like an ashy crack head.

Also since the cash option is like 150-200 will the partial payment of repainting the car be about the same amount? its weird that they did not mention the percentage but did mention the cash amount.
    Last edited by Dominicano; 12-10-2009 at 08:18 PM

mine is peeling from the car! its not white or ashy, but is actually peeling and flacking off. will they honor this too?
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlackDragon View Post
    mine is peeling from the car! its not white or ashy, but is actually peeling and flacking off. will they honor this too?
    My clear coat is going as well, and my car is not even black...

Not being the first owner of the car and not having my name associated with any kind of warranty probably leave me with slim odds at getting anything from this.

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

"now does delamination mean that the clear lifts from the color? in a pealing form? cause mine does not peal but it is white like an ashy crack head."

Yep, that's delamination. Mine never peeled but the roof started turning white.

As to the amount of the settlement, it won't equal a tenth of what I paid to have my
    GTZ repainted (by one of the best and most expensive independent body shops in town)
    but I wanted the repaint done right and I've got a "lifetime" warranty on the repaint.

Half a loaf is better than no bread at all.
    -- John --
    2001 Black Galant GTZ (Sold 5/18/2015)

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthGTZ View Post
    "now does delamination mean that the clear lifts from the color? in a pealing form? cause mine does not peal but it is white like an ashy crack head."

Yep, that's delamination. Mine never peeled but the roof started turning white.

As to the amount of the settlement, it won't equal a tenth of what I paid to have my
    GTZ repainted (by one of the best and most expensive independent body shops in town)
    but I wanted the repaint done right and I've got a "lifetime" warranty on the repaint.

Half a loaf is better than no bread at all.

thats true I started reading the settlement document since I purchased my car 2000 I am close to 5 years our of warranty it seems I might get 400 if I get it repainted.

The good thing if you had your car repainted you don't need to take it to the dealership but still get money.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    I got them, I am gonna go talk the the painter and see if i can get it

i got the letter today, but i repaint my car 4 years ago, what i have to do now, send the form for the 150$ or send the invoice for my paint job, what do you recommend guys.

JDM front covension Old style vr4,18"axis black seven mod,clifford alarm,egr rear window visor,kenwood unit 7"screen DVD,two tones paint job,3G strut bar , HID's.

hhp8008
    Nice I just received my documents like 2 hours ago. And I read the whole document and still trying to choose what payment. couldn't of came at a better time.........scratch that its snowing in PA :P lol

When mine comes in the mail, I'll most likely will wait for warmer weather to paint it.
    Last edited by hhp8008; 12-11-2009 at 09:01 PM

Quote Originally Posted by glantv699 View Post
    My clear coat is going as well, and my car is not even black...

Not being the first owner of the car and not having my name associated with any kind of warranty probably leave me with slim odds at getting anything from this.
    Im the third owner of my G (its a 2000 es I bought in jan 04), got the documents for the claim though, but the class action only applies to black cars, you would have to sue MMNA for your color.

no clue what option to take, free money is free money though

I posted the same thing as this but in a different section, same day though.
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=39433
    Last edited by Armageddon Sunset; 12-11-2009 at 09:05 PM

I got these papers too. I have already had mine repainted, so I will opt for the cash. I'm not the original owner of my Galant, but they mailed them to me, so it shouldn't matter.
    })({ Heather })({

- "If you never take risks, you'll have a wasted soul."

I cant believe the cast part is only 150. that sucks.
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

JAC00BLKES
    i can't believe they waited til after i totalled my G to do this bullshit

i wonder if i can still get the money for it

TGC Regular
    This really sux for me! Just read over the terms of the claim and looks like I don't qualify for the settlement cause my black G is a '99. That figures!! And I was already in the works to have my car repainted too. Oh well.