The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Head Gasket Removal

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Head Gasket Removal

I got a haynes repair manual but i'm stuck on the Cylinder Head removal.....

1.Removed intake manifold

2.removed ignition system

3. removed timing belt and valve cover

4. removed rocker arms

this is where i'm stuck at....there seem to be bolts(total of ten) deeper down.

my question do these bolts require a certain tool to remove them, i tried using a 13mm but it slips every time and a 12mm is to small.

The other question is are these the bolts that need to be replaced(headstuds).The book threw me for a loop at this step.

bry29bry
    12mm or 13mm (i can't remember which) 12 point socket.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Yeah use a 12 pt socket. I think they are 12mm. They also need to be loosened and tightened in a specific order or you could damage the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

alsoe when you remove the head send it out and have it pressure tested and warpage checked. and it machine for a fresh mating surface, for the block scrape all excess gasket matriel off with a razor blade, be carefull not to put deep gouges in it doing this, then take the marroonish scott brite pad and clean it up further with this. you want the cleanest possible surface but do not use sandpaper as it is too rough

got another problem....car turns over won't crank though,i had a diagnostic done but no signs of a faulty sensor other then the tps. so any help there would be great.

I checked my spark plugs and they are fine,but theres no fire comming from the spark plugs.

did you plug the coil packs back in???

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    did you plug the coil packs back in???
    Make sure they are plugged in, make sure all the sensors are plugged in as well. Check the MFI relay and other fuses/relays in the box to make sure nothing is blown.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Also check timing belt because when mine went it did that.

timing belt is ok, and i got the car coded there werent any codes besides the tps code which im in the progess of fixing.......is there like a diagram that will tell me which relays are which so i can check and replace them if needed.

only hint i can give is there isnt any fire

check the MFI relay, I'll explain where it is best as possible.

Remove the fuse box cover and stand in the front of the car facing the fuse box. The closest relays to you will look like this... imagine each thing below is a relay

=
    I I

The MFI relay is the top one the = sign
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member
    Does the 8g have a crank sensor? If so id check that. I put mine on backwards when i built my 7g and i had no fuel or spark.. Dont ask how i put it on backwards lol ;-)

i have fuel and i didnt get a code so i assume the crank sensor is a ok, im going to check this mfi relay

btw i have a 2000 sohc 2.4 galant i did the intake swap, my question is could it be a ignition faliure module, if so where is it located on the outlander intake.

second question.can a sensor go bad without a code being thrown,if so i think i will manual check the crankshaft sensor

make sure u pull and check every fuse one time i wasnt getting any spark checked all the engine bay fuses then tested my crank sensor finally check the fuses in the car only to find the 10amp near the bottom was blown and it was causing no spark.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

yeah i checked all the fuses workin on the relays now,then i'll check the crankshaft sensor

OMG the ignition failsafe module, I forgot about that little fucker. Hey do you happen to have an extra wire by the intake manifold that isnt connected to anything? If so, thats def your problem. The connector on the wire looks sorta like the one that goes to the TPS sensor, its a rectangle black plug with 3 or 4 wires.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

i did the outlander Swap does the iginiton failure thingy still apply????

the failsafe sensor still has a connector on your harness so you still need to address it
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

hmmm sensor was ok, i have coded the car idk what else could cause it to no fire.........i did the headgasket replacement proper(having doubts now). coils look fine,spark plug wires are fine....????