The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G 4g64 swap to 4g63t + evoturbo How to *incomplete* (PICS!)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 80

8G 4g64 swap to 4g63t + evoturbo How to *incomplete* (PICS!)

7 years ago lol

Title should be changed to complete ^^

ahem... THIS THREAD IS FOR A COMPLETE 2003 EVOLUTION 8 ENGINE +EVOLUTION ACCSSORIES USING A 2003 GALANT FRAME AND GALANT OEM WIRING/ENGINE HARNESS

parts used for this thread are described bellooooowwwwwwwwwww.....have fun!
    Last edited by Qs; 06-24-2013 at 09:08 PM Reason: i was young and sooo happy lol

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

Uhhh the only 4g63t you can use IS from an evo.

222whp/250wtq

laxinwarrior is right the 2g and 1g 4g63t's will not fit

your choices are evo 4g63t, 4g64, 4g64 block evo head, 4g64 block optima/sonata head,

pick which one you want to do and i can tell you more about it i've been doing alot of research are there are some things your going to need to know about some of those combonations but i dont wanna type out everything for all of them if your not going to choose that option

that engine in the ebay link would work it is out of an evo, stewi oon here got a jdm engine and it wasnt in the best condition so if you are going to get that engine i would budget for a rebuild too
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

oh also to boost the 4g64 you do not have to change the crank or the cam... well you could get the rpw cam but you dont have too... if you want to make substantial power past 18psi you will need a more aggressive cam but its not necessary to intiially boost our engine

lets see your parts list and i'll try to help you out as much as i can
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

parts list needed and used for this swap along with the accompanying info

-evo engine
    -evo intake manny
    -evo turbo manifold
    -galant exhaust manifold flange ( optionnal but its the cheapeast way) unless u can make a flange urself , for starter clearance explained further below)
    -aftermarket tubular manifold or a custom made adapter (explained below)

-evo turbo housing
    -evo turbo
    -evo intercooler
    -oem evo intercooler pipping
    -oem or aftermarket air intake kit ( kn typhoon gives a hell of a sound)
    -evo wastegate
    -evo BOV or aftermarket ( dont go cheap, go turbosmart!) if u want some sound. OEM spec one is exhaust refeed not atmospheric so no sound is heard basically.
    -u can use the G radiator, but the evo rad fits as well.
    -it would be interesting to know if the evo triple clutch works in a eclipse transmission lol
    eclipse clutch system
    -evo oem oil cooler or any kind ( with custom made adapters to fit it , whichever )
    - evo injector ECU control unit ,not in G or eclipse ,
    -evo power steering pump/unit
    -evo air conditionning pump/unit ( not required but be sure to check which model of strap you have and i have no clue if the galant or eclipse non a/c will fit the evo non a/c & vice versa
    -evo downpipe
    -evo main ECU
    -evo passenger side engine mount

thats about what i got so far,

as for the engine well the evo mentionned would go for 3300 + the rebuild ( which is another gran ) so lets says for 4500 its rdy plus all the fitment and other things i will have to change.... ( it would come with a manual tranny so i could sell my tranny swap in here

the sonata optima head would also be good but the performance would be less than the evo head for the same amount of work ( i do have to swap head) the engine engine will cost less at start but the labor will be the same
    Last edited by Qs; 06-24-2013 at 09:10 PM Reason: removed useless barter

2002 blue G RIP07

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    That would be a 94 GS motor, will not fit an 8g.
    7g for life!

k , would of been nice it wasnt expensive at all but still

i just called jap engine located in montreal and they can get me an evo engine 4g63t from 1998to2000 with everything ecu, tranny , turbo piping intercooler, for about 3000 , or the engine only for about 1200 to 2000 $ ( hes not selling the head alone )

the only 4g63t they had in stock was a 95 and a 97 both from eagle talons.

pretty sure the 95 doesnt fit, and the 97 probably wont either...

the evo engine sounds like a good deal

but i sense i will be warned in the futur by a generous member of this community NOT to do buisness with japengine so i did not venture in that direction.
    Last edited by Qs; 06-24-2013 at 09:13 PM Reason: premonition!

2002 blue G RIP07

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lance...QQcmdZViewItem

just found this evo (4g63t) head , lets say i buy the head and i use my 4g64 block get the parts from my list and i should be good for 20 psi and with some mods on the block i could go to 30 psi, right?

ok so ive narrowed down my choices, the engine sold (in stock) by japengine in montreal is a 4g63t from a 2 talons so thats out

the evo he can order are in other words evos 4 and 5 and maybe 6 ( rs model would be cool 330 bhp :shock: ) it would fit my G
    all 3 of em have the same specs stock, 276 bhp and 260 lbs torque for the evo 4 , 275 for the evo 5 and 284 for the evo 6 ( someone correct me if im off here )

the link for the head above is a jdm evo 8 head so the internals should be better than the previous ones, but the stock specs are about the same.

or theres this one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem
    which is an evo 8 again but complete engine,

would come up to 4000 , 1000 more than the japengine guy in montreal , but the engine would be off an evo8 jdm instead of an evo 4, 5 or 6

is it worth it, i mean the internals cant be THAT different.

both should have around 50 k on the engine

all of the evos have a stock boost of about 15 psi right
    Last edited by Qs; 06-24-2013 at 09:14 PM

2002 blue G RIP07

so it looks like your set on getting an evo engine....

1 the transmission that comes with the engine will not work it is for an AWD car so it most likely has a transfer case bolted to it so unless you are going to fit the rest of the AWD setup in the galant you cant use that transmission...

2 the last link you posted sounds like the best option (i would find out as much info as possible before you buy it tho)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...QQcmdZViewItem

3 the evo head by itself would work also on on eof the 4g64 blocks you have butlike i mentioned above you will need new pistons if your going to turbo that motor which you should probably do anyways it's not wise to turbo a car with 12:1 compression

4 no other mitsubishi engine but an evo 4-9 will fit in this car without major modification

5 keep your current 5 speed transmission swap parts because the evo transmission will not work unless you are going AWD which is another big project in itself

what i would do is use one of your 4g64 blocks, buy the evo 8 head, buy forged pistons speced for that head and block combination, buy forged rods, and a evo 9 turbo setup, build that motor and put the 5 speed transmission you have on it and call it a day

but for the fun of it , the AWD tranny , if i just remove the driveshaft and the drivetrain bassically remove everything from the yoke to the back , would it work ?

coz thats what my friend did in his eagle, might not work in our G come none came out AWD

2002 blue G RIP07

anyway , so its down to the last question

after reading wiki on mitsu evo'S i found out that they did change some internal from the evo 4 to 5 , then from 5 to 6 , but since the evo 7 its been only tweaking and electrical stuff for the AWD , ( like active diff a,d yaw control )

so the best choice would be the evo 6 engine

the evo block and the 4g64 block , can they potentially handle the same amount of hp/torque if the proper internals are changed , coz the evo block stock is good for max 21 psi and the 4g64 stock is max 18 psi , so after cam, rod , connection rod, cranck all the stuff needed to boost at 30 psi , , would there be a difference between the 2 ???

and with that kind of setup , il need the evo brake or brembo brake kit and frame kit etc.. but the first step is getting the engine in the G

2002 blue G RIP07

oh also to boost the 4g64 you do not have to change the crank or the cam... well you could get the rpw cam but you dont have too... if you want to make substantial power past 18psi you will need a more aggressive cam but its not necessary to intiially boost our engine

lets see your parts list and i'll try to help you out as much as i can

if i put a turbo head on a atmospheric block , i will need to change the pistons right?

2002 blue G RIP07

that car was meant to be AWD the galant is not... you have to modify the crossmember and the steering rack just to get the transmission and transfer case to fit

TGC Regular
    There are actually many places in Montreal that can sell you a 4g63t. There are also a few places that can help you with the swap.
    I don't know much about modding yet but.. from what I remember reading there was a thread on swapping the drivetrain from FF to AWD.. but it was based on a 3G Eclipse. If you are willing to read further into it then that would probably be a good basis from where to get your source/info.
    There was also a shop somewhere located in Ottawa or somewhere miles and miles away from Montreal that does custom drivetrain work. My friend researched it when I told him that the EVO in FnF:Tokyo Drift was swapped from AWD to FR.
    'o4 Acura TL: Dynamic ;; AEM | P2R | Falken

Sound.Vision.Soul // Drive.Drift.Dream

the limit of the 4g64 block is not 18psi the limit of the cylinder head is 18psi to make any type of significant gains

if use use the evo head and 4g64 block there is no debating you will have to get forged pistons with a lower compression ratio atleast, because you can not use the stock block and evo head together with a turbo turbo a 12:1 compression do not mix well

the evo block and the galant block are EXACTLY the same for the most part its just the internals that are different and the height of the deck/block

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Lucky you..

i thought this was a nice addition

taken from wikipedia

Evolution IV
    Fourth generation

Production August 1996–January 1998

The Lancer platform was completely changed in 1996, and along with it the Evolution, which had become extremely popular throughout the world. The engine and transaxle was rotated 180° to better balance the weight and eliminate torque steer. There were 2 versions available, The RS and GSR

Evolution V
    98-99
    The track was widened by 10 mm (0.4 in), the wheel offset changed from ET45 to ET38 along with the wheel diameter which rose from 16" to 17" to accommodate Brembo brakes which were added to enhance braking. In addition the brake master cylinder bore increased by 0.3 millimetres (0.01 in). The engine was strengthened in a few areas and the cam duration was increased. The pistons were lighter with a smaller skirt area. 510 cc injectors were replaced with 560 cc injectors for better engine reliability due to more electrical "headroom" and the ecu was changed to include a flash ROm.Further more, the turbocharger was again improved. Torque was increased to 275 ft·lbf (373 N·m) at 3000 rpm. Power officially stayed the same, at 280 PS (276 hp/206 kW) as agreed by Japan's automotive gentlemen's agreement that all cars would have 276 or less hp, but some claim horsepower was actually somewhat higher.

Evolution VI
    Sixth generation

Production January 1999–March 2001

The Evolution VI's changes mainly focused on cooling and engine durability. It received a larger intercooler, larger oil cooler, and new pistons, along with a titanium-aluminide turbine wheel for the RS model, which was a first in a production car.

Evolution VII
    Seventh generation

Production March 2001–January 2003

In 2001, Mitsubishi were forced by the FIA to race in the WRC using WRC rules for building a car instead of the Group A class rules, and thus did not need to follow homologation rules. The Evolution VII was based on the larger Lancer Cedia platform and as a result gained more weight over the Evolution VI, but made up for this with multiple important chassis tweaks. The biggest change was the addition of an active center differential and a more effective limited-slip differential, while a front helical limited-slip differential was added. Torque was increased again to 284 ft·lbf (385 N·m) with engine tweaks that allowed greater airflow, and horsepower officially remained at 280 PS (276 hp/206 kW). .)
    The 5-speed automatic gearbox had what Mitsubishi called 'fuzzy logic', which meant that the car would learn what the driver's driving characteristics were like and would adapt the gear change timings and kick down reactions accordingly. The gears could be manually selected as with most tiptronics via steering wheel + and - buttons (a pair both sides) or via selecting the tiptronic gate with the gear lever. Power was down a little from the standard manual cars with a very usable 272 bhp (203 kW). The GT-A gearbox did not appear again in the Evolution VIII but has been installed in the estate version of the Evolution IX Wagon.

Evolution VIII

Production January 2003–March 2005

The Evolution was changed again in 2003, this time sporting Super Active Yaw Control to handle traction and a 6-speed manual gearbox. It was available with 280 PS (276 hp/206 kW) in three trims: standard (GSR in Japan), RS (devoid of all excess components, such as interior map lights, power windows/doors, and radio) and MR. RS Editions came with a revised limited-slip front differential.

The Lancer Evolution VIII MR uses slick-response Bilstein shocks for improved handling. Detail improvements have also been made to Mitsubishi’s own electronic all-wheel drive, to the ACD 5 + Super AYC 6 traction control and to the Sports ABS systems. . In the United Kingdom, many special Evolutions were introduced, which included FQ300, FQ320, FQ340, and FQ400 variants. They each came with 305, 320, 340, and 400 hp (227, 239, 254 and 298 kW), respectively. It is rumored that the 'FQ' stands for 'Fucking Quick'.The FQ400, sold through Ralliart UK, produces 302.13 kW (405.2 hp), from its 2.0 L 4G63 engine as the result of being specially modified by United Kingdom tuning firms Rampage, Owen Developments and Flow Race Engines. At 202.9 hp (151.3 kW) per litre, it has one of the highest specific output per litre of any roadcar engine. With a curb weight of around 3200 lb (1451 kg), it achieves a 0-60 mp/h in 3.5 seconds and a 0-100 mp/h in around 9 seconds , top speed is 174 mp/h (280km/h), while costing about £47,000. BBC's television series Top Gear demonstrated that the FQ-400 could surprisingly keep up with and eventually overtake a Lamborghini Murcielago around a test track. The Stig recorded a Top Gear Power Lap Times of 1 minute 24.8 seconds.[4] In a similar test conducted by UK supercar magazine evo, the Evolution was able to lap the Bedford Autodrome faster than an Audi RS4 and a Porsche Carrera 4S.

The Lancer Evolution VIII was also the first Evolution to be sold in the United States, spurred by the success of the Subaru Impreza WRX which had been released there just three years prior.[citation needed] The Evolution VIII found its true competition in the Subaru Impreza WRX STI model the same year as the Evolution VIII's US introduction. However, the internal components for the American versions were largely stripped-down versions of the specifications for the Japanese Lancer Evolution VIII. No US-spec Evolution model has active yaw control, including the 2006 Evolution IX. The American 2003 and 2004 GSRs are without the helical limited-slip front differential and 6-speed manual transmission. The 2004 US spec RS models, however, do have a front helical limited-slip differential. All 2003, 2004 and 2005 RS and GSR models have the Japanese Evolution VII's 5-speed transmission. The MR edition was introduced to the US in 2005, with ACD and the only model with a 6-speed transmission. The 2005 US spec RS and GSR have the ACD standard, and the front helical limited-slip differential is now standard on all models. The timing and tuning are also slightly lower than its Japanese counterpart, allowing it to adhere to the strict emissions regulations of the United States.
    Last edited by Qs; 06-24-2013 at 09:19 PM

2002 blue G RIP07

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Dont buy anything from Jap engines in Montreal. Thats where I got my JDM EVO7 motor from. The pistons cracked in 250 miles and when I tried to call them about the warranty they swear the motor has, they told me I had no warranty.

If your going to buy an EVO engine, why not just get an USDM spec one, so that one day when you break something or loose a bolt or something, you can just go to the dealer and get what you need. Trust me, I did this already. I thought I was getting an awesome deal, $2200shipped for a JDM EVO7 motor, uhhh ohhh, then I had to get a water pump, which took two months and $200 to get, when if I had an EVO8 it would have taken 1 day and $140.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

thx for the warning stewi
    Last edited by Qs; 06-24-2013 at 09:20 PM

2002 blue G RIP07

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    That thing about the JDM motor being stronger is BS. Its the same rod and piston.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast