The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: wrong transmission fluid, how screwed am I?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25

wrong transmission fluid, how screwed am I?

so I had a transmission fluid service done a while back at a shop nearby and the transmission started acting funny more recently. When it upshifts it has a tendency to 'grind' a little bit, as in make a sort of droning noise decreasing in tone as the engine slows down untill it finally catches the gear, and then it accelerates normally.

at this point I decided to be a little stealthy and go by the place and ask what kind of tranny fluid they carry for the galant. it went something like this

me: "hey, have you got transmission fluid for a mitsubishi galant?"

guy: " sure, automatic? yeah, it takes normal stuff."

me: "what do you mean 'normal'?"

guy: "regular automatic transmission fluid. It's red"

me: "the service manual says it needs diamond spIII"

guy "nah, dexron will work fine"

I wanted to bite his stupid face. This was the same guy who had assured me that he had fluid for my car back when I got it done. Leads me to believe he put dexron in it then too.

What should I do?

not sure, my advice would be to flush it and put the right fluid

WarmAndSCSI
    Ummm, make them buy you a new transmission if something related goes wrong? I hate it when shops try to save a few bucks and do some extra business by servicing cars out of their league.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Ummm, make them buy you a new transmission if something related goes wrong? I hate it when shops try to save a few bucks and do some extra business by servicing cars out of their league.
    Can I do that? I have receipts and stuff, but how can I prove that they put the wrong fluid in? Is there a way to test what kind of fluid is in your trans? I'll be damned if i'm paying a grand plus to rebuild my tranny if there's a way that i can make them do it.

diamond spIII? Never heard of it. I had mine flushed LONG AGO and I doubt they put diamond spIII in there. Never had any problems.

I'll make note of it now, thanks.

yeah, it looks like alot of people try to dodge using it because it's so damn expensive. I read over on mitsuforums that people sometimes use ATF+3 without trouble, but d/m fluid is a really, really bad choice.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by stolenstapler86
    yeah, it looks like alot of people try to dodge using it because it's so damn expensive. I read over on mitsuforums that people sometimes use ATF+3 without trouble, but d/m fluid is a really, really bad choice.
    SP-III is hardly more expensive than ATF+3/4 or Dexron FYI.

Can I do that? I have receipts and stuff, but how can I prove that they put the wrong fluid in? Is there a way to test what kind of fluid is in your trans? I'll be damned if i'm paying a grand plus to rebuild my tranny if there's a way that i can make them do it.
    Yes it can be tested.

really? I heard like 4.75 a quart for spIII. at work we've got d/m and atf+3 for like 1.99.

really? I heard like 4.75 a quart for spIII. at work we've got d/m and atf+3 for like 1.99.
    i'll have to agree with WarmAndSCSI here. ok even if it was 2.75 bucks more for the correct fluid paying extra for that would surely be alot cheaper than rebuilding or replacing your transmission after it fails.

take the car to another shop. find out what's really wrong with the car, get hte fluid tested and then go back to the first shop. the last thing you want to do is point fingers at them and it not be the problem. you'll just look stupid.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

TGC Regular
    damn that sucks, definaty gt the spIII back in there man, thats oem i wouldnt change it to atf+3 or anything, if u want the cheap way out, get a honda, your in the wrong car, Definaty use what the trans was designed for, it all has difrent elaticicty, and properties. if you wanna save a bit buy runnning something that works. For how long will it work is the question...

if they did put the wrong fluid in, and everything, You can have them replace it, they are ase certified, and licensed and insured or they prolly dont have a very good business. But i would take it to the dealership, in the end, they should get stuck with the whole bill.... and you with a new trans. or at the least, a back to par trans, and your money back. its hard to tell, definatly check it out, and have it looked at to know for sure if its shot, so you dont look like the fool.

if the shop properly changed your tranny fluid with a flush and got all the other old fluid out you should be fine with red tranny fluid i have it in my v6 and i have no problems with it. You can do it to any car my buddy in his audi has red tranny fluid in it he did a good flush and you can convert it with no problem. maybe your low on fluid?

TGC Regular

Trans Fluid

good point i forgot about that... lol, You wanna make sure they didnt just drain your fluid and screw on a new filter and call it good.. and think they did a good job, it needs to be hooked up to a pump machine, and have all the old flupid pumped out, and filled up with no air bubbles in your tourque converter, should be i belive a 7.5 qt system

WarmAndSCSI
    I'm glad Manybrews isn't around to hear this crap.

DO NOT RUN NON-MITSUBISHI FLUID IN YOUR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS YOU CHEAPASSES

edit: and only 1999's had screw-on filters IIRC.

TGC Regular
    i highly second that notion. brings me back to the buy a honda if u want a cheap way out, i seen one run on water doing burnouts for 2 days straight... well was about 2 - 3 hours the first day, then it ran for about an hour burning out the second day lol, no oil. water. haha. was funny, blew the rods, and it still cooled down and started up. lol.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

I had royal purple atf in my transmission for about 8k miles, that trans lasted 11k total.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

TGC Regular
    yea and royal purple is good shit, my friend runs nothing but that in all his mopar's But he told me if i tried to run that stuff, id hafta buy a new tranny, he said mitsu's are picky and just better stick by the books with them. and dont even try to take a more expencive route and upgrade, just run strictly what it prefers.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Dexron will kill your tranny, Nuff said on that.
    Out here they charge 16.82 a qt at the dealer for that shit and like 6 bux for the other shit that we put in the 7G's. I say its worth every penny if you wanna keep that slushbox alive long enough to see its true life cycle.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse97526
    yea and royal purple is good shit, my friend runs nothing but that in all his mopar's But he told me if i tried to run that stuff, id hafta buy a new tranny, he said mitsu's are picky and just better stick by the books with them. and dont even try to take a more expencive route and upgrade, just run strictly what it prefers.
    Yeah thats the real reason I swapped to a manual, it was so I could run RP in the gearbox again.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Nice. Although I think RP is kinda thin for my tranny. It does warm up quick and gives a faster gear shift.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast