The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Radio/Clock will not work...

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    modded98galant

Radio/Clock will not work...

Hey guys...newbie here...

I have a 98 galant. I removed the battery and replaced it with a brand new one. My radio worked fine prior to the battery change. Since I removed the battery, my radio no longer works and the clock on the dash isn't on either. I went to autozone and replaced the 15a fuse for the radio but that did not work. I heard that there is some sort of radio code that needs to be reset for the radio to work. However, I don't have the stock radio. I have an aftermarket one. Are there codes for aftermarket radios??? Any other ideas of what could be going on?

Thank you for any help.

there shouldnt be a code for an aftermarket one.. check the wiring and check the fuse again..
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    do your dome lights come on? if not, then it's that fuse.

do you have a multimeter? if so, tone check all your fuses.

if all your fuses give off a tone, pull your radio out and test to see if you're 12v constant wire is getting power and also check to see if your acc. wire is getting 12v when the key is turned. when donig this, try to use metal as your ground vs the ground in the harness.

if you get 12v on both wires, check your ground.

check the fuse on the back of the radio.

it should be the same fuse for the radio, clock and dome lights
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    it should be the same fuse for the radio, clock and dome lights
    but there is multiple radio fuses.

i know of only one radio fuse, and its close to the kick panel on the drivers side

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    i know of only one radio fuse, and its close to the kick panel on the drivers side
    should be a fuse for constant and accessory. constant is sometimes also called chime or memory

modded98galant
    Thanks for the replies.
    I noticed today that the dome light is not working either. So, do you think that if the dome light ("room" fuse) is replaced, the radio/clock will work as well?

ok for ur best bet.. take a little flash light. and check all ur fuses if u have to tkae it out and look.. do that lol

but yah it should be one fuse for that.. dome radio clock
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

Quote Originally Posted by mapid145 View Post
    ok for ur best bet.. take a little flash light. and check all ur fuses if u have to tkae it out and look.. do that lol

but yah it should be one fuse for that.. dome radio clock
    or use a dmm.

but yes, that fuse is probably your issue

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    i had this issue after putting in a new radio there is the 15 fuce and a 10.. if one is gone it tries 2 run both off one fuse and in my case both blew.. check both

also are the door locks only working when the key is turned on? if so its definately the fuse
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

kinda hard for it to run the radio off one fuse since if one is blown then either the constant or acc wire doesn't get the 12v to turn on.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    that was the issue i turned 4 1 sec n my friend crossed the wires so i only had switched power and a day later both fuses were blown and the car almost didnt start
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

modded98galant
    Thanks for the advice. I fixed the problem. I replaced all the fuses and it's all set. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by modded98galant View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I fixed the problem. I replaced all the fuses and it's all set. Thanks again.
    np man

modded98galant
    well, although i fixed the fuse problem; I now have another one. My battery does not seem to hold power (it's a brand NEW battery). i bought a duralast 800amp battery but I turn on the car and it runs fine for a little while until the radio starts to shut on and off, half of the dome light works, the gauges all dim, and eventually the battery light comes on, the car sputters and dies out only for me not to be able to start it again without jumping it.
    now i have a couple of televisions in the car, some aftermarket gauges, and a few other mods that require additional electrical power. Do you think that this problem is more likely the alternator or do you think a 1000 amp duralast gold will solve the issue?? Also, how expensive is a alternator change?

Thanks so much guys.

if the car is running and it's doing this, then it's the alternator. if you have a lot of shit running while you're driving, then i suggest a high output alternator

you say 750amp, but how many AMP/Hour

Build Thread

Sounds like a alternator problem to me.......I just had to replace my factory one. The one I just stuck in my car is now going bad and it gave me the same problems. The one I just put in had gotten so bad the SRS light would come on because of not enough power. But yea...test your alternator......I can almost assure you thats the problem

I'm betting its a 90 amp alternator. You might be better off with a 120 or something the way your talking about having half an electronics store in your damn car.
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.