The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tail end idea...

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Tail end idea...

So I hopped in on the group buy for the Dolphin bumper and Liberal grill from Cali, and I have a good idea what kind of side skirts I want, but I have been totally undecided on what to do with my rear end. I had been thinking alot about this lately and I think I have found something I really like.

Basically I want to add a rear diffuser to the bottom on my rear bumper and then extend the rest of the bumper on the left and right sides. It would only be a couple of inches to extend it down. And this is where I have a question. Would the fiberglass that you get at auto stores work to just extend the bumper down? I've never worked with fiberglass so I have no clue what its limitations and capabilities are.

Anyways, here's a couple pics of 2 different diffusers that I really like. Let me know what you think and tell me what you think and any suggestions for extending the bumper on the sides.

2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L 4G64 */* !!NEW!! 03 Honda CBR F4i
    * a little done -*- more to come *
    My Dual Halo H3 Projector Project

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    This is purely for asthetics right? If so the first pic looks like it'll work better. Also if you've never used fibeglass I recommend that you leave a job of that magnituted to the pros.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Thats A Very Good I dea go 4 it
    03 I4

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1 View Post
    This is purely for asthetics right? If so the first pic looks like it'll work better. Also if you've never used fibeglass I recommend that you leave a job of that magnituted to the pros.
    +1

Whats gonna need to happen is your going to have to cut into the lower part of the rear bumper to the shape of the diffuser and just mold it in to the underside of the bumper using fiberglass. Definetly get a body shop involved in something like this as its no small job especially for a first timer.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

looks good tho
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

i agree - good idea. think it would look good!

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    You will be the only one I know. It might not look right because the design in the bumper but who knows, get it done and will judge after.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1 View Post
    yeah definatly for asthetics

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    +1

Whats gonna need to happen is your going to have to cut into the lower part of the rear bumper to the shape of the diffuser and just mold it in to the underside of the bumper using fiberglass. Definetly get a body shop involved in something like this as its no small job especially for a first timer.
    Im wondering about the cutting in to the bumper... I would want to do this instead of getting an aftermarket bumper or rear lip to go with the lower profile of the new front bumper and sideskirts, so I would be wanting everything to be a little lower, which i think would be achieved by mounting it to the bottom of the existing bumper and then using fiberglass to extend down the rest of the bumper that couple of inches to "incorporate" the diffuser in to the design.

I definatly understand the magnitude of the job is not a small one! :) The idea only lightly bounced around in my head to do it myself, but i figured worse case scenario if I screwed it up, just cut it off, sand it down and then send it to the pros... who knows tho...

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    You will be the only one I know. It might not look right because the design in the bumper but who knows, get it done AND WILL JUDGE AFTER.
    oh what joy! ;)

Are you ever gonna do this? Lol
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

x2

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    Are you ever gonna do this? Lol
    lmao mr money bags! eventually. its probably the last thing I buy. i've purchased the dolphin bumper and liberal grill, and about to get my sideskirts. then a new hood and then lastly the tail end, but im thinking I want to do the VR4 rear bumper to go with this. not sure just yet.

So, give me time :) I don't have all the money in the world to just throw around, but I will get to it.

this is a great idea,, i was thinking of doing this but with the rear i have doesnt flow too well.. which is that almost identical to the evo 5-6 i believe its hard to get that to fit.. i think this would fit perfect with the rear that jaydeeone has because the shape of that rear bumper is almost identical to that rear diffuser...might wanna get a hold of thaty rear.. i would love to see this done on a G
    Last edited by Censee; 09-18-2008 at 10:22 PM

Thats a more subtle one I'm going alittle more aggressive

I have it sitting in my garage was going to put it on the Evo conversion but its going on the Galant now.

IM sorry, but that is going to look horrible I think. I don't like that style diffuser at all, but I could be wrong, and this is just my $0.02

you will see.

my car will also be tracked so this will be of benefit to me.

if I wasn't I wouldn't bother.