The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing aftermarket stereo in '04 Galant ES

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 63

Installing aftermarket stereo in '04 Galant ES

Ok, I am what one would consider "clueless" when it comes to cars and audio, which is a probably a reason why I SHOULDN'T be trying to install a new head unit myself (w/ help of a friend, actually).

Anyway, I have a 2004 Galant ES, and no infinity system.

I haven't quite decided on what stereo I want to buy (probably JVC), but I have purchased a Metra Harness 70-7001. I don't actually understand what it does, but I would guess it's a harness that fits the Mitsubishi cars, and will mean I will have less wiring and splicing to do since it should hopefully just plug into the harness.

I realize I will have to deal with the annoying E COMM display, but are there any other complications that I will be running in to? I plan on hooking up an amp and subs in the near future. My brother will help me with the subs, and it's likely he will do what he did with my '95 Civic, and simply splice the 2 rear speakers to go into the subs instead of running wire from the back of the deck all the way to the subs in the trunk.

Any help would be great. Since I don't know hardly anything, I will likely just pass any responses on to my friend who is helping me and supposedly has installed quite a few head units in other cars before.

EDIT: Definitely do not have an infinity system, and thank god I guess.
    Last edited by JoeCoolMan24; 02-23-2011 at 01:11 PM

You only tap to the rear speakers when you have a stock radio, your new head unit will have an RCA output, I suggest you use it. Follow the Instructions that came with the radio and the instructions that came with the harness. Make sure you ground the Radio straight to chasis/frame don't trust the Harness ground.
    Run a quick search: for more tips

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/search.php

Also, I've read that I will need this installation kit....

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-7012-.../dp/B001E6VEB8

Is it true? I don't quite understand why I need all these parts that are already in the car? What do I need new pieces for? Doesn't the new stereo fit in the same spot as the current one? I wish the damn factory stereo just had the AUX port, since that's the only reason I am upgrading!

I think the aftermarket stereo in my Civic had the RCA output too, but my brother still used the rear speakers. What's the advantage of using the RCA output? Just less likely my back speakers would overheat or something?

Don't let him rig your speakers up to be ghetto fabulous... don't be one of those guys.

Make sure you get all your gear from an authorized dealer otherwise your warranty for anything won't be good. If you are hell bent on doing it yourself, go to www.crutchfield.com and put in your car info on there and they will not only give you probably the best price on the head unit you want but they include all the accessories you need for free. Like the wiring harness, dash kit, etc.

If you buy from a lot of the places online like the dealers at amazon you are getting B stock product, not A stock.

If you dont' feel comfortable doing it yourself go to a shop that has MECP certified techs. Don't go to a best buy. MECP techs can have your head unit in within about 30 minutes and it will probably cost about 50 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24 View Post
    I think the aftermarket stereo in my Civic had the RCA output too, but my brother still used the rear speakers. What's the advantage of using the RCA output? Just less likely my back speakers would overheat or something?
    The advantage of using the RCA's is that the signal from them is purpose-built to go to an amp without any amplification as the signal will get amplified by the amp (hence the name). Most head unit even have two sets of RCA pre-outs, one for subs (low frequency) and one for amps that power full-range speakers (like what's in your car from the factory).

Also, not tapping your rear speakers means you get to keep the sound from them and use them to get your high-frequency sounds and let your subs handle the lows.

Usually tapping the speaker wires is for, like oakrdrs187 said, when you wanna keep your factory head unit or don't have another way to get signal to your amp that's gonna power some full range speakers. Tapping those wires requires an amp that can handle speaker-level inputs since the signal from your speaker wires is already amplified by the head unit and can damage an amp that can't accept that kind of signal.

You and your bro do it properly, and you'll appreciate the sound from your ride.

If this is too much, then like tr1kst4nce said, let certified pros do it, and you'll appreciate the sound and should have peace of mind that it was done right.
    Last edited by wetamup2k3g; 02-22-2011 at 07:43 PM Reason: left out crucial information

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    If this is too much, then like tr1kst4nce said, let certified pros do it, and you'll appreciate the sound and should have peace of mind that it was done right.
    I second everything he said... also... with a nice shop with MCEP certified techs... usually when you buy the speakers, gear, etc there they usually give you a price break on installing it. Not to mention being an authorized dealer they are insured, warranties are still good. And if you go to a really nice shop, the last thing they want is to screw you over so they will fix it if something goes wrong. It's usually better in the long run and you'll have peace of mind.

Some people just wanna get everything in there so they can start enjoying it. Cut corners... use not so great of quality things like wire... etc. But once you hear a system that is done the RIGHT way... you appreciate it more and are willing to spen another couple hundred bucks to get quality stuff and have it done right.

Just my opinion!

I put the best single DIN Alpine head unit there is in my G, bought some nice Boston Acoustic speakers, and got an Alpine power pack for the amp. Sounds VERY nice. Well worth it over those cheaper cheesier brands. I hear things in the music I didn't even know was there. So much more clear, better quality, and can get much louder without sounding like crap.

Also, I've read that I will need this installation kit....

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-7012-.../dp/B001E6VEB8

Is it true? I don't quite understand why I need all these parts that are already in the car? What do I need new pieces for? Doesn't the new stereo fit in the same spot as the current one? I wish the damn factory stereo just had the AUX port, since that's the only reason I am upgrading!
    This is a Dash Kit and no an aftermarket radio will not be mounted properly without it. The parts in the car that look like this will not be used, there is no way of mounting your new radio to the stock radio bezel. They aren't expensive, 20 bucks should do it. Like the guys mentioned most reputable Shops will do this fairly quick and cheap. They usually have all the parts you need. Just take it to a nice shop have them install your radio, and if you have the cash have them run the wires for your amp so all you have to do is plug it in when you are ready. I did this service countless times when I was working in the field.

Ok, I am what one would consider "clueless" when it comes to cars and audio, which is a probably a reason why I SHOULDN'T be trying to install a new head unit myself (w/ help of a friend, actually).

Any help would be great. Since I don't know hardly anything, I will likely just pass any responses on to my friend who is helping me and supposedly has installed quite a few head units in other cars before.
    If you are having second thoughts about taking your car in think of this:

I once had a guy who didn't want to pay the shop fee of $35 to install his new deck so his expert installer buddy talked him in to just buying the dash kit since he thought it was all he "NEEDED". It was an S-10 pickup so he ditched the antenna adapter and harness saved another $35. Cool!! If you know what you are doing it's still possible to make it work. His buddy told him to match the colors of his new harness to the car, he did just that. Factory GM colors and any automaker wires are not like the ones in the new harness. He color matched everything. Plugs the radio in and BOOM!!! Both of his airbags went in the truck. He brought the truck back, I looked at it he opened a yellow loom harness with a yellow wire in it and tapped into it. As soon as he plugged the radio in it The Black ground wire closed the circuit, and that was all it took. Poor Guy he could have just payed the $35 labor + $55 parts for an $80 job. Who knows what new Airbags cost him....
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 02-23-2011 at 12:16 AM

Yeah, that's a good point, something I didn't think to mention. Certain wiring harnesses work with multiple makes of cars. For example, our wiring harness works with alot of toyotas. But color matching the wires doesn't mean anything unless you know which wires are for what... primarily the wires already running through your car. When you buy the correct wiring harness it usually comes with a skematic that tells you what color wire is for what lead, which side, front/rear, etc... but if you don't know which wire on your car is what, it won't help.

This is why I said if you're going to do it yourself... get your stuff on crutchfields site. They got prices that are 99% of the time the lowest and you'll get all the accessories you need for free like the dash kit and wiring harness... AND they send you detailed instructions so you can do it yourself if you want. Personally... especially if you have the infinity system... you're going to want to go to a shop with certified MCEP techs. Because the Infinity system is a pain in the rear to swap out for an after market stereo.

Don't go to best buy, it's a crap shoot on if you will get good work done or not. Look in the yellow pages. If the shop doesn't have a website or can't produce techs certifications, or doesn't have awards and things like that... yeah... not good. The shop I go to is where all the Indianapolis Colts players go to have their Mercedes and Lambo's and Bentley's hooked up... and the prices are cheaper than Best Buy.... Trust us... pay the $50-ish bucks and have a pro put it in if you're not 100% sure. It will take 30-45 minutes.

I don't have the infinity system, so I am not worried about that part of it.

I have already purchased the harness, and now if I purchase the dash kit off of amazon, can I just take it all into a shop and just pay them labor? I mean, I am sure they are going to overcharge me for parts, especially since the harness I already bought + the dash kit will costs me only $22 combined.

My biggest problem is that I am a college kid with slim to zero cash available. I mean, I literally have about $155 in my account right now, and I plan on spending $100 on a stereo, and then the $55 in gas going home for spring break. lol. That's the only reason I am trying to shave as much money as I can and get this done cheap.

And yes, I realize that if I have only $155 in my account, I should not be blowing it on a stereo, but I can not even really enjoy driving in my new galant (new to me, that is) because I can't plug my Zune in and listen to music. CDs just get too boring after a while, and I have over 1800 songs I'd rather listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by tr1kst4nce View Post
    Yeah, that's a good point, something I didn't think to mention. Certain wiring harnesses work with multiple makes of cars. For example, our wiring harness works with alot of toyotas. But color matching the wires doesn't mean anything unless you know which wires are for what... primarily the wires already running through your car. When you buy the correct wiring harness it usually comes with a skematic that tells you what color wire is for what lead, which side, front/rear, etc... but if you don't know which wire on your car is what, it won't help.

This is why I said if you're going to do it yourself... get your stuff on crutchfields site. They got prices that are 99% of the time the lowest and you'll get all the accessories you need for free like the dash kit and wiring harness... AND they send you detailed instructions so you can do it yourself if you want. Personally... especially if you have the infinity system... you're going to want to go to a shop with certified MCEP techs. Because the Infinity system is a pain in the rear to swap out for an after market stereo.

Don't go to best buy, it's a crap shoot on if you will get good work done or not. Look in the yellow pages. If the shop doesn't have a website or can't produce techs certifications, or doesn't have awards and things like that... yeah... not good. The shop I go to is where all the Indianapolis Colts players go to have their Mercedes and Lambo's and Bentley's hooked up... and the prices are cheaper than Best Buy.... Trust us... pay the $50-ish bucks and have a pro put it in if you're not 100% sure. It will take 30-45 minutes.
    Well shouldn't the 70-7001 harness I just bought help get me through having to match those colors? I mean, I just assumed that the harness will plug into the factory plug, and then the only wiring I will have to do is from the harness to the new stereo, and I doubt something like an airbag or anything not needed for the stereo would be included on that harness, right?

Damn, why couldn't this be sports? I'd dominate it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAaQ8...feature=relmfu

Ok, so how did this guy make it look so easy? Lol. It looks like his new stereo had an end that his factory harness plugged right in to, and that was all. He didn't have to cut or splice any wires. Did he install that clip on to the new stereo himself, or do they come like that? I guess if I had my new stereo I would know, but I still haven't decided on on yet....

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    This is a Dash Kit and no an aftermarket radio will not be mounted properly without it. The parts in the car that look like this will not be used, there is no way of mounting your new radio to the stock radio bezel. They aren't expensive, 20 bucks should do it. Like the guys mentioned most reputable Shops will do this fairly quick and cheap. They usually have all the parts you need. Just take it to a nice shop have them install your radio, and if you have the cash have them run the wires for your amp so all you have to do is plug it in when you are ready. I did this service countless times when I was working in the field.
    You just mean this for Galants, right? Because when my dad installed my stereo in my '95 Civic quite a few years back, he had no sort of dash kit or wiring harness. He just spliced all the wires, and popped the new stereo into the some slot and it fit and looked perfect. Does he have some sort of hidden talent, or are dash kits simply needed for Galants?

Sorry for the 5th straight post, but after talking to my friend a bit (the one who is helping me), he seems pretty confident that he can install it. I guess his dad taught him how, and he has installed quite a few, including everything in his car, which includes a lot of crazy audio stuff and a pimp system.

He said I just need the Metra harness and a dash kit and he will have any tools or anything else needed. So hopefully it will cost me no more than $22 plus the pizza I am buying for him helping hook it up. Ha.

Another question though (go figure), how easy is it to run the wires for the amp? My buddy said he can run the wires for me too, but said he will have to take a look as see how it's set up. I guess some cars have it easy to run wires, and some cars are a pain in the ass. Just wondering how the Galant sets up for him...

and ANOTHER question.....
    I've only had my car for 2 weeks now, and since I am on campus, and park my car off-campus, I have rarely even driven my car, and haven't had a chance to really even poke around at it and check things out. But what I did notice in the trunk was a metal bracket on the left side near the back. The bracket probably was 4-5 inches down from the top, and about 8-10 inches off the back of the trunk. Just wondering the purpose of this bracket, and if it can be removed so I can fit my subs in it. Just from glancing at it, and not measuring the trunk or my subs, it appears it may cause a problem and force me to sell my subs and get something smaller that will fit under this bracket. Wondering if anyone else ran in to a similar problem, if it can be removed, or if I am crazy and my subs should fit under it.

These are the subs I have....

http://www.buy.com/prod/audiovox-jen.../90144505.html

Nothing special or great, but I bought them off a co-worker 4 years ago for a good price, and they've always worked for me.

gglantgirly00
    Pioneer DEH-33hd, This is the stereo I have. It is $90 at walmart (or $179 through pioneer)
    I just switched from JVC to this one and the difference is amazing!! I wouldn't go with JVC bc they aren't good quality (in my opinion). My JVC would turn the volume up and down on its own and none of the buttons worked anymore (after two years). I also love Kenwoods. But if you're set on a JVC, go for it!

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    If you dont' feel comfortable doing it yourself go to a shop that has MECP certified techs. Don't go to a best buy. MECP techs can have your head unit in within about 30 minutes and it will probably cost about 50 bucks.
    Really, so you are saying I am a bad installer since I work at Best Buy and I am MECP Certified?

You just mean this for Galants, right? Because when my dad installed my stereo in my '95 Civic quite a few years back, he had no sort of dash kit or wiring harness. He just spliced all the wires, and popped the new stereo into the some slot and it fit and looked perfect. Does he have some sort of hidden talent, or are dash kits simply needed for Galants?
    Not all cars need a dash kit or antenna adaptor. Look at the 1999-2003 Galants, only a wiring harness is needed. But on the 9g galants and MOST vehicles a dash kit is needed.

Using a wiring harness makes installation 200x easier. You don't have to pull the wiring diagram for the radio and splice into wires. Not to mention it is much safer so you don't fuck something up.

BTW, if you have the infinity system in your car, you have the wrong harness.

Quote Originally Posted by gglantgirly00 View Post
    Pioneer DEH-33hd, This is the stereo I have. It is $90 at walmart (or $179 through pioneer)
    I just switched from JVC to this one and the difference is amazing!! I wouldn't go with JVC bc they aren't good quality (in my opinion). My JVC would turn the volume up and down on its own and none of the buttons worked anymore (after two years). I also love Kenwoods. But if you're set on a JVC, go for it!
    $179 is just msrp. Product never goes for MSRP. Not to mention that unit is much lower quality than you would find at Best Buy, Crutchfield, or any other electronic store.

Some cars need them and some don' t. Look at the radio as a whole, the galants radio is bigger than your new one.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 02-23-2011 at 09:38 AM

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    Really, so you are saying I am a bad installer since I work at Best Buy and I am MECP Certified?
    I was waiting for you to chime in on this guy....

Just because best buy may have upset you in the past does not mean they are all the same, when I was there we also did custom work like custom boxes, amp racks and fiberglass. I still keep in touch with installers there and have seen their work much better than the private shops around here.

Remember thats just around here...

BTW im not MECP Certified
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 02-23-2011 at 09:37 AM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast