The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sometimes when I idle, car shakes a bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

Sometimes when I idle, car shakes a bit

My 01 Galant is only 7500 miles. I don't know why sometimes when it is in neutral or park the engine shakes a bit. Idle speed is around 800 when warm so I guess that normal.

When I put the car in gear then everything is fine, only when it is not in gear.

Oil change and regular maintenance were on schedule by the previous owner and I just switched to Mobil 1. :?

Senior TGC Member
    That's normal as far as I know if you have the V6. It feels like the engine is shifting around randomly right? shake...shake shake...shake...shake...shake shake...? I don't know if that's what you're getting. My 4 cylinder didn't do this though.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>That's normal as far as I know if you have the V6. It feels like the engine is shifting around randomly right? shake...shake shake...shake...shake...shake shake...? I don't know if that's what you're getting. My 4 cylinder didn't do this though.</div>

I'm not sure about feeling the engine is shifting around but it does shake quite a bit.

Anyone other V6 8g do this? ThX

clone2020
    The dealership said my idle vibrations were caused by warped rotors.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clone2020)</div><div class='quotemain'>The dealership said my idle vibrations were caused by warped rotors.</div>

huh how does rotor effect engine idling? :?

01GTZ
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clone2020)</div><div class='quotemain'>The dealership said my idle vibrations were caused by warped rotors.</div>

what da ****? IDLE vibrations caused by warped rotors huh...hope that dealership is not in business anymore..

01GTZ

what da ****? IDLE vibrations caused by warped rotors huh...hope that dealership is not in business anymore..

*my 01GTZ has a bit of vibration on idle too..*

**guess i need to change my rotors**

ccm84

Does it

Does it seem to stop shaking if you put it at 1000 rpms? Mine seems to viberate around 800, but if put it a hair higher, the viberation stops. I am going to just bump up my idle rpms a little bit and see if it continues.

-Chase-
    I won't comment on how stupid your dealer is.

Pimpster
    I have the same exact problem with my 03 brand new galant GTZ. I took it to 3 different dealerships and none of them could find anything wrong with it. I dont want to raise my ideal just to fix light vibrations. But if anyone here knows of a fix, please let us know !!!

Thanks

Gilhuly
    Do not adjust your idle! Unless someone else has been screwing w/ it in the past you should never mess w/ idle. My V6 vibrates a teeny bit at idle, which for me is like 650, but the car is a beautiful piece of machinery and it treats me right. There is a lot of differentb things going on w/ the car at idle and it's not as simple as turning the idle screw. Manybrews has warned this board about this and we have heard stories of poorer running cars after messing w/ this. I don't know how many miles you have on your car, but I would suggest Plugs, wires (if you're up around 50-60k)and an ECU reset via battery neg disconnect for an hour. Our cars have very sophisticated ECUs - this is no small block chevy.

clone2020
    Excerpts from http://www.algonet.se/~cossie/FAQ.HTM

"The steering wheel shakes when braking.
    The vibrations is most likely down to warped discs which may need replacing. This is a very common problem on these cars. However, before forking out lost of cash on that, try replacing the bushes for other ones in polyurethane. We know so many people who have got rid off all the problems after doing that. If the problem persists then you may look at the condition of the brake calipers and how freely the outer part slides taking care to grease it well as it tends to stick otherwise. "

-MIKE.

Elwenil
    Here's what I found when I put new plugs in my I4. Carbon tracking on my plugs. This bleeds spark, and can cause a stumble every few seconds at idle. To check for it, remove a spark plug and look at the base of the ceramic, if it has rusty colored streaks running up it, then you have carbon tracking. Replace the plugs, and wires, and fill the plug wire boots with dielectric grease to correct the problem. When I had my Avenger it did the same thing, and Mopar put out a TSB on it, and I swapped the plugs and wires, and put some dielectric grease in the boots, and it never happened again. The same problem could be happening on your V6s, but unfortunately you can't get to your rear side plugs without a bunch of BS. Take out all the front plugs to check them, if they are all clean then look elsewhere for the problem, but if one or more show signs of carbon tracking, replace all that shit. Any Mitsu mechanic should be familiar with the carbon tracking problem, as the 2.0L I4 Mopar engine came in the Eclipse as well, so they should have had to deal with it. Unless of course they are some kind of know-it-all loser, then take it to another dealer. Just my .02

clone2020
    It's not the plugs (in this case) because I just replaced the wires, coil packs and plugs...

The steering wheel still vibrates at idle in drive with the brake pedal pressed.

I also have an occasional piston slap on cold days that lasts for less than 5 minutes.

Also only when the car has been driven for less than 15 minutes after a cold start, the steering wheel vibrates (ocassionally).

I've read a lot on "piston slap" and GM says it's normal but GM is also being sued for it (www.pistonslap.com).

Some say "Piston Slap" has to do with the pistons and the cylinders being out of spec. (worn or damaged)

Also, I've read that it "could" be attributed to warped rotors. I've had them resurfaced and it actually seems to vibrate less.

MITSU has a RECALL on "Steering Wheel Shudder" symtoms regarding vibrations when turning the steering wheel. It has to do with the Power Steering. There's a revised kit that you can buy to fix the problem.

I can't think of anything else that could fix my occassional piston slap and steering wheel vibrations.

-MIKE.

clone2020
    Here's a great site on Steering Wheel Vibrations/Warped Rotors.

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/brakewarp.html

-MIKE.

Shake at idle - I have it too!

I have a 99 4cyl AT with 116,000 miles. But the shaking has occurred pretty much since I've had the car.

Basically, if I'm in drive and sitting idle at a light, for example, the car will shudder and shake a bit. I can tell it's nothing to be worried about, but it's ANNOYING and a tad nerving. I just want it to sit at a light smoothly like NORMAL cars. I sometimes have to put the car in Neutral so that it won't shake when I'm at a stop because it bothers me. If you guys find a fix let me know. And I'm POSITIVE it's not due to rotors. THey have nothing to do w/ shaking when you're not moving.

Re: Shake at idle - I have it too!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vectorz)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have a 99 4cyl AT with 116,000 miles. Â*But the shaking has occurred pretty much since I've had the car. Â*

Basically, if I'm in drive and sitting idle at a light, for example, the car will shudder and shake a bit. Â*I can tell it's nothing to be worried about, but it's ANNOYING and a tad nerving. Â*I just want it to sit at a light smoothly like NORMAL cars. Â*I sometimes have to put the car in Neutral so that it won't shake when I'm at a stop because it bothers me. Â*If you guys find a fix let me know. Â*And I'm POSITIVE it's not due to rotors. Â*THey have nothing to do w/ shaking when you're not moving.</div>

Thats the same exact thing i've been experiencing lately? no suggestions?
    2002 Galant ES - I4, Viynl Interior by P
    Pioneer AVH-P5700 DVD, RF P4004, RF P8002, 2-Infinity 12" Perfect 12.1DV Subs
    Lightning Audio Digital Capacitor
    Infinity Speakers,GTZ Spoiler, Ractive E-brake, Chrome Door Handles, CF Armrest
    Freedom Design Strut Bar, Cleared Corners
    KUMHO 711 Tires, CF Interior Trim

I get a bit of the shakes too if I put it in neutral on my V6. Not consistently, though. Sometimes it is smooth, then onece in a while a bit shakey, then back to smooth.

Hey clone2020, I think the shaking the original post is referring to is while idling at a stop, not while braking/driving.

210gtz99
    ok, ive got a 99 gtz with 115,000 ive had it since it had 30,000 miles and for the most part it has alwayz had a bit of a studder at idle in park or N...
    more recenly however it has started to studder pretty bad whenever i come to a complete stop from highway speed....could this be the idle air control valve??

My99GTZ
    I've had the same issues now that I'm getting up there in mileage.... we gotta get to the bottom of this one.. coming off the highway to a stop my car will shake and drop RPMs to just about a stall.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast