The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Possible to improve handling with stock rims?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Possible to improve handling with stock rims?

I am considering upgrading my shocks and springs to get better handing. But I like the stock GTZ type 16 inch rims. I notice that most people go to 17 or 18 inch rims when upgrading. Does the rim size upgrade make a big difference in handling or would I still notice decent improvement with just springs, struts and sway bars?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    A light set of 16s will always be better then a heavier 17 and 18" wheel. People only upgrade for looks, not performance. I prefer a 16" wheel myself. The size of the wheel isnt what you should worry about, its the tires on the wheels. Stock tires are horrid for traction, especially when pushing them on an AutoX. Upgrade the tires, something with a stiffer sidewall and you will enjoy them :)
    7g for life!

Lowered, with STB, rear swaybar and sticky tires, I've noticed a big difference even on the stock rims. The only reason I went with 17s is my BBK. 17s are a nice improvement in handling too (will allow you to use wider tires as well), but you don't "need" bigger wheels.

plus zero size your tires.
    for instance.
    if you have a 205 60 16
    go to a 215 55 16

or if you ahve a 205 55 16 go oto a 215 50 16
    you get the idea.

lowering the sidewall will help take slop out of the tires.
    the wider contact patch will increase grip.

look for something in a z rated or higher speed rating.
    i doubt you will find anythign better than z without going to a 40 series tire though.

with springs stuts, and swaybars... you will be able to throw yoru car all over the road and still have a comfortable ride.
    upgrade the suspension bushings, get a camber kit, and a 4 wheel alignment and you will know the true meaning of superior handling.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

The diameter of the rim doesn't really matter, but a wider rim can be beneficial. Needless to say since it's been mentioned here already, but some good tires are a must no matter what size the rims are.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Its all about the aspect ratio. Dohc he's running a 205/55/16 and can fit a 225/50/16 on it, I've seen me do it. Get a high performance summer tire in the 225/50 size, that will be a good start.

If you need more, just follow my lead and get R-compounds.

A rear swaybar is a very worthwhile investment, probably one of the best things you can do to get them to handle better. And even more worth it if your like me and prefer a car that oversteers. Just gotta watch out for jackass's on cloverleafs.

A 17" wheel is the best performing wheel out there, its small enough that weight isnt killer, but large enough that the aspect ratios are down enough to provide minimal tire deflection.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

for great handling and with comfort - comfort is relative haha!

get tein coilovers (coilovers > lowering springs + gas shocks)
    get tanabe sustec front and rear underchassis swaybars
    get front and rear strut bars
    get light 17s and slap on 225-45-17 advan neovas
    get racing seat ( a racing seat allows you to push the car further because it keeps you in place during sharp hairpin turns and allows you to get a feel of your chassis more)

hardcore great track handling: (could be a very stiff ride)
    get the above plus
    seam weld plus
    rollcage plus
    aftermarket hard bushings plus
    lighten your car

braking is part of the picture too - aftermarket rotors + racing pads + dot4 brake fluid would be a great start (then later slainless steal braided brake lines + big double diaphragm hydrovac from 8g vr4 etc etc)

Quote Originally Posted by glantv699 View Post
    If God drove a 6G, it would probably be this one.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3011864
    i love eprom tuning:
    anti-lag misfiring - done
    launch control - done
    180kph jdm ecu speed cut - deleted
    a/c disengage at 35% pedal press
    350whp

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I want to seem weld my car so bad. I think I might do it this summer if I get a garage to work in :)
    7g for life!

I'd love to stitch weld it, double thickness key structural area's and drill and chamfer non structural places.

you can fit far wider than a 225 under a galant, I'm thinking 275's will be pushing it without some work to raise clearences, if your not dropped 245's will be no problem, just not on the stock rims.

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    I want to seem weld my car so bad. I think I might do it this summer if I get a garage to work in :)
    come over here and you can weld all day long (i need a welder myself... )

I'm actually enrolled in a welding course, it pretty sweet, I'm learning stuff that will really help out later on.

i'm dying to seam weld and foam fill my chassis.
    there are so many seams on the 7g, its rediculous. even the strut towers are riveted and epoxied on.
    It has one awesome suspension, but its just not a ridgid chassis. 8g is probably 30% more ridgid. i coudl only immagine how solid the 9g are.

only thing that really concerns me with seam welding would be that its an invatation to rusting.
    and as of now, my car literally has no rust in the body, or chassis.(save suspension bolts and a scraped cross member under the engine)

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Heliarc it and paint and you wont have problems. I'd like to cut out some weight and strenghten the chassis. Stitching the firewall and a few other places would help out alot. Its possible to get the ridgidity of a cage without actually having one. That and it would make it a whole lot harder to bend the frame and total the car.