The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: overheating

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 56

overheating

im having an overheating problem. if i sit idle for aroun 5 to ten mins my temp gauge starts to slowly climb. but once i start moving or if i give it gas it starts to slowly come back down. i think its a bad thermostat. Any ideas?

Have you checked your coolant level???
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

check the coolant and flush it if it needs it, replace thermostat, blow out your radiator, replace the water pump.

if that doesnt work, then youre just as screwed as me. my car does the same thing and i still havent figured it out.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    My 99 does it all the time and after replacing the water pump, thermostat, coolant and all of the above. I just gave up. It does not hurt anything so screw it.

when i first got the car it was doin it and it ended up being that there was no coolant in the car, so i refilled it and it stopped. now its doin it agian but there is plenty of coolant in the system. I think its just my thermostat.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Could be the thermostat. Could be the radiator cap. Could be the headgasket. Do whats easiest/cheapest first, start with the radiator cap.
    7g for life!

You think my radiator cap isnt keeping pressure?

and i dont think that its my head gasket cuz its not smoking. But my valve stem seals are bad if that would have anything to do with it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Id rather try an $8 part/2 min install first then a $50+ part/1hr+ install.
    7g for life!

true. So radiator cap first? and my thermostat is only gonna cost me $13.54

did u put coolant in the clear thing or in the radiator?
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Im not sure but would a water temp sensor might be one of the problems too :?:

2000 I4 100k Miles

Quote Originally Posted by ChiGalant
    Im not sure but would a water temp sensor might be one of the problems too :?:
    yah im suprised nobody mentioned that earlier...
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

i put it in the radiator

I have a 02 galant with the I4 in it I just got it back from the shop cause I rear ended somebody I have 61k miles on it everything in the front end got replaced like radiator, fans almost everything in the front I drove it for like a week then one day I was driving the temp gauge just started rising I could hear the fans working when im driving it but the temp gauge just keeps rising so I turn it off and it just smelled like coolant and tried to see if my fans are working but for some odd reason when I just have the key on the "on" position and turn on the AC the fans dont come on at all so I let it cool down and I turn it back on and drive about 45 seconds of driving it starts getting hot again can anyone give me any ideas what can be wrong? my coolant reservoir is on full I havent done my timing belt change or any other belts for that matter my water pump seems to be fine I dont have any leaks and if my water pump would have been locked would the belt make noise from the water pump pulley not spinning at all?
    Last edited by Hibolt; 06-20-2008 at 01:42 AM

might be a bad thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by glantv699 View Post
    If God drove a 6G, it would probably be this one.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3011864
    i love eprom tuning:
    anti-lag misfiring - done
    launch control - done
    180kph jdm ecu speed cut - deleted
    a/c disengage at 35% pedal press
    350whp

This may help......

Quote Originally Posted by vr6 View Post
    might be a bad thermostat.
    yeah in fact it was a bad thermostat so I bought one at autozone which I later found out was a mistake because after slapping it on it was fine but it started leaking for the thermostat housing so I tried putting on liquid gasket stuff and that didnt work so finally I just bought another thermostat this time from kragen and I noticed a difference from the o ring in the thermostat the one from kragen had a lil rib in the middle and the one from autozone was pretty much square cut and I bought sheets of gasket material and just made my own out of that now it seems to be fine no leaks and no overheating!

sounds like a the fan is not working correctly if u ask me
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

kbeast
    Next time it over heats dont turn off the car. just turn on the heat to 4 and let it sit for a second about 5 to 10 mins then turn it off

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast