The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: mivec?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

mivec?

who out there knows about this? whats it all about? is it hard to swap? And can i get a mivec in the U.S?
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

BlackBeauty
    MIVEC stands for Mitsubishi Innovative Valve-timing and Electronic Control.

It's a variable valve timing system as seen in the original Honda VTEC performance engines as well as Toyota's VVTi system, seen in Toyota's new engine range (they've got it in every model I've seen from the Corolla to late model Soarer and Supra... even Tarago).

V-Tec and Mivec and the Nissan Variable Valve Timing systems are very similar...the Toyota 20v system as seen on the 4age 20valve motor is inlet only timing and can only change the lift on the inlet cam...but then you will see the VVT-i on the new Celica and RAV-4 and Lexus's and stuff and these are a much improved version of what they had and just about the same as Honda's V-Tech and Nissan's system... all with the ability to control the lift and duration on both the inlet cam and exhaust.

I would think you can get these engines in the US - a friend of mine in Sydney has recently put a Mivec engine into his Galant (JDM, 7thG like mine). From memory, the Mivec was standard in the FTO of the same year too (1994+).

I read somewhere that the Mivec has 22Kw more power (standard) than my engine.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
    MIVEC stands for Mitsubishi Innovative Valve-timing and Electronic Control.

It's a variable valve timing system as seen in the original Honda VTEC performance engines as well as Toyota's VVTi system, seen in Toyota's new engine range (they've got it in every model I've seen from the Corolla to late model Soarer and Supra... even Tarago).

V-Tec and Mivec and the Nissan Variable Valve Timing systems are very similar...the Toyota 20v system as seen on the 4age 20valve motor is inlet only timing and can only change the lift on the inlet cam...but then you will see the VVT-i on the new Celica and RAV-4 and Lexus's and stuff and these are a much improved version of what they had and just about the same as Honda's V-Tech and Nissan's system... all with the ability to control the lift and duration on both the inlet cam and exhaust.

I would think you can get these engines in the US - a friend of mine in Sydney has recently put a Mivec engine into his Galant (JDM, 7thG like mine). From memory, the Mivec was standard in the FTO of the same year too (1994+).

I read somewhere that the Mivec has 22Kw more power (standard) than my engine.

HTH
    Blackbeauty: I keep hearing rumors that the Mivec motos 1.6 and 2.0L both were prone to problems and maintance was a monster on them. I have always been interested in the small motors that have the same output of motors alot larger heavier motors.

MIVEC = for Mitsubishi Innovative Valve-timing and Lift Electronic Control

MIVEC MD = for Mitsubishi Innovative Valve-timing and Lift Electronic Control and Modulated Displacement

the engine 6A12 2.0L V6 DOHC 24valves mivec is used for the FTO (Mitsubishi Fresh Touring Origination). I have friends in Club Mitsu who have these in their Lancers and Mirages.
    the 6A12 Mivec has 200hp.

The 6A12 Mivec is used in the FTO and for the early 8g jdm galant vr-m. Unfortunately, the Mivec is replaced by the GDI engines.

The 7g galant vx-r uses the 6A12 Mivec MD. The 6A12 Mivec MD and 6a12 Mivec works in the same way just the like the Honda Vtec.

But what is special about the Mivec MD is that when you are drving at low rpms and at low speeds, only 4 pistons work for more fuel conservation. then when you floor the gas (and are at higher rpms), the 6 pistons work and also the mivec part kicks into action.

gssplaya and myself had the oppurtunity to dismantel a 6A12 Mivec MD engine from a 7g galant vx-r. Damn! its a very hi-tech engine. it has electronic modules when you open the valve cover. the electronic modules IMO, control/ activate the 4 and 6 pistons = modulated displacement.

the 6A12 mivec md from the 7g vx-r is more complicated than the 6A12 mivec from the FTO and 8g vr-m.

the 1st, 2nd and 4th timing gears are of the same size. the 3rd timing gear is obviously alot bigger than the rest. IMO, this is for the mivec part.

all the 6A12 variants (6A12 mivec, 6A12 mivec md, 6A12TT, 6A12 non mivec) all have a built in oil cooler for the engine located at the rear of the block (near the firewall). The oil cooler uses a watercooling system.

the 2.0L 6A12 mivec and mivec md engines have about 200hp.
    http://www.adelaidejap.com.au/images/6a12.jpg

the 1.6L 4G92 (in-line 4, 16valves, dohc) mivec engines have about
    175hp.
    http://www.adelaidejap.com.au/images/4g92.jpg

not bad for such small displacement engines.

Quote Originally Posted by glantv699 View Post
    If God drove a 6G, it would probably be this one.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3011864
    i love eprom tuning:
    anti-lag misfiring - done
    launch control - done
    180kph jdm ecu speed cut - deleted
    a/c disengage at 35% pedal press
    350whp