The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Steelie only on 8G

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Steelie only on 8G

Finally just decided to go with the steelies only. Kinda like the look, however I'm going to need to paint them with a semi gloss black (some are a bit rusted).

Anyone have tips on that? from everything to drying time etc, I use my car daily so I assume I will have to do one at a time or something. Also, anyone do anything special with their steelies? center caps? special lugs etc?

72,500 miles as of 3/30/11

Sunlight is your best friend. Use the sun's rays to help cure paint. There's a tutorial on how to paint wheels try reading there.

Here's a solution, invest in 16 inch V6 hubs/tires (or keep your 15's), and add chrome steelie trims add-ons (cost effective). I've seen it on a Galant but you could totally rock this. Good luck!

hmm, i think i have a pic of my car on just steelies. basically just took a can of spray paint over the bad spots. or you could jack it up and paint one wheel at a time.

The only time a car should sit on steelies is when its winter, and you have snow tires wrapped around them, like me.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Trim rings ftw!

DFX, you painted the steelies while they were on the car? wouldnt it go through and get on the rotor's?

i tried staying away from the holes and just did the inside and edge. you cant tell from the pic, but the backs look much better than the fronts. i took the drivers side off to paint it, but not the passenger side.

There was a thread about this a while back and it didn't seem to fly so well back then but I still think it might look decent. Theres a photoshopped pic of my car with trim rings in the thread too just so I could get an idea of what it looked like

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=31312

heres my friends camry with trim rings (old pic, still waiting for him to upload pics after his paint job)

Get diamond racing steelies,you can get them in any size and offset imaginable and they come in different colors.

blue8g
    pssh just leave em the stock black.......i've gotta bunch o pics with just mah steelies......in fact that's how i sit right now lol

Yeah my steelies just need a touch up, was thinking take one wheel off, paint it, put it back on. repeat.

^Unless you got very careful hands and pinpointing painting skills...make sure you cover up the tire. Newspaper with masking tape or whatever. I have a friend of mine who painted his stockies not too long ago without masking it up. Came out AWFUL!!!!!!!

Success is achieved through dedication and personal sacrifice. Eye for an Eye_Tooth for Tooth_Blood for Blood.

yeah i failed to mention that step, I plan to use the blue painters tape around the tire

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    wow that chrome really makes it look nice....wow

A thing that they do on a lot of vw's is widen the steelies to like 8 inch it looks pretty sweet then you can have the off set at what ever you want. It looks good on them. Just an idea.
    99 Galant ES
    B&G spings, Cleared needels, Cipa compass/temp rearview mirror, 18's that need tires, cleared corners, Optima red top, K&N with customized air box...