The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 97 VR4 tranny ques..

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

97 VR4 tranny ques..

Aight guys this may be one brain twister that my lead to loss of hair on my head. The Vr4 comes with a awd 5sp tiptronic (well this model) right, right. Would it be possible to remove something from the trans in order to use it Fwd only?

gssplaya

hmm

Removing something from an AWD tranny is a big mistake, ive tried this in my 6a12TT and it sucked big time. massive power loss!

If i had the money i would go 4WD but now i just run a FWD tranny taken from an N/a galant. no choice man.

the fwd tranny you used was from a I4 4g64? I have heard several times of that rumor. If thats the case I should be able to use the fwd tranny off my current 4g64 on the 6a13.... :?:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>the fwd tranny you used was from a I4 Â*4g64? Â*I have heard several times of that rumor. Â*If thats the case I should be able to use the fwd tranny off my current 4g64 on the 6a13.... :?:</div>

gssplaya uses a fwd 5 speed manual tranny from a 6A12 n/a. i think this is also the same tranny for the i4 sohc 4g63.

Quote Originally Posted by glantv699 View Post
    If God drove a 6G, it would probably be this one.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3011864
    i love eprom tuning:
    anti-lag misfiring - done
    launch control - done
    180kph jdm ecu speed cut - deleted
    a/c disengage at 35% pedal press
    350whp

RichardB
    Ive got a 6A13TT engine from a Tiptronic 96 Galant VR4 that Im putting into my FTO. The FTO is using the standard FTO Manual Gearbox which is FWD. It looks like an exact match, same 7 bolt stud patern on the bell housing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vr6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>the fwd tranny you used was from a I4 Â*4g64? Â*I have heard several times of that rumor. Â*If thats the case I should be able to use the fwd tranny off my current 4g64 on the 6a13.... :?:</div>

gssplaya uses a fwd 5 speed manual tranny from a 6A12 n/a. i think this is also the same tranny for the i4 sohc 4g63.</div>

I cant use the tranny off my 4g64 because the starter module is mounted to high, right behind the exhaust manifold. On the 6a13 ironically thats where one of the 9b's is located My last US hope is that the 6g73 us V6 has the starter in the same location. If not either have to rig the awd trans to be reliable or look into importing the fto trans. Any ideas or contacts about finding a fwd tiptronic off the gto

Quote Originally Posted by Mante
    Quote Originally Posted by vr6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mante
    the fwd tranny you used was from a I4 4g64? I have heard several times of that rumor. If thats the case I should be able to use the fwd tranny off my current 4g64 on the 6a13.... :?:
    gssplaya uses a fwd 5 speed manual tranny from a 6A12 n/a. i think this is also the same tranny for the i4 sohc 4g63.
    I cant use the tranny off my 4g64 because the starter module is mounted to high, right behind the exhaust manifold. On the 6a13 ironically thats where one of the 9b's is located My last US hope is that the 6g73 us V6 has the starter in the same location. If not either have to rig the awd trans to be reliable or look into importing the fto trans. Any ideas or contacts about finding a fwd tiptronic off the gto
    try http://www.rpw.com.au/. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by glantv699 View Post
    If God drove a 6G, it would probably be this one.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3011864
    i love eprom tuning:
    anti-lag misfiring - done
    launch control - done
    180kph jdm ecu speed cut - deleted
    a/c disengage at 35% pedal press
    350whp

gssplaya

HMM

Mante> dude get a tranny from the 1997or 1998 FTO GPX!!!! its the highest model trim FTO. Get this because it has an OEM LSD!!!

If my 6a12TT were oriented the same as yours, i would get one and ditch my manual tranny in a heartbeat!

anyways, do any of you guys know what other mitsu tranny has an LSD??

vr6: rpw was actually the first place I thought about since they have a local shop here in the states then one in australia Im still waiting on a response though

gssplaya: LSD huh....hmmm Now if I was going to import a trans it wuld have to be manual lol the slush box is only cool when in traffic. But 97 or 98 alright, I shall be looking

RichardB
    gssplaya : I hate to contradict you but the FTO GPX does not come with a Manual LSD Gearbox (Limited Slip Diff) only the FTO GP Version R has one as standard.

(Trust me I run the FTO Owners Club in the UK!)

To buy a Standard FTO Manual Gearbox in the UK should cost you about £400, one with Limited Slip Diff would cost you about £600 (I just bought one for mine!) Then you could have to get it shipped out. I just shipped an engine in from Newzeland which cost about £600 in shipping, tax etc. So Im guessing it should cost about £3-400 to ship a gearbox out to you.

Do you still have that contact info from that place that you got your engine from? Im still waiting on a response from two or three different leeds.

RichardB
    Yeah it was Kempy`s