The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Climate control problems - has this happened to anyone else?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Climate control problems - has this happened to anyone else?

So, guys, 99 galant. First my a/c drain gets clogged so water goes all over the floor on the passenger side. I only mention this in case it has some bearing on the rest of the story. Then the a/c clutch starts engaging whenever the fan is on 2 or upwards, even though I do not have the a/c on at this time. Then the fan motor decides that it does not like this game and ceases to function entirely. I am not pleased. I decide that the problem lies within the climate control itself, located as it is in the center of the dash. I proceed to go to a local boneyard where I have not brought my custom before because the proprietor assures me that the part he is selling me is in fact the 1999 model, because as you may or may not know, this is the only year that is appropriate for this application. He, however, has a strict no customers on lot policy and as a result I do not see the car with my own eyes. Now comes the ugly part. I place this part in its proper location and am rewarded with a sizzling noise which ends in a pop which seems to be coming from the fusebox area of the dash. Assuming that I have been misled, and this is in fact not the 1999 model, I return the part and have some choice words with the proprietor, who essentially said, so sue me. Not wishing to tie up the court system with litigation over a twenty dollar part, I decide to find the correct one somewhere else and so I replace the original, as having a gaping hole in the dash is unsightly and would not make me a hit with the ladies. The result? Nothing works at all now, not the rear defroster, not the recirculate/fresh air button and certainly not the fan, which as I have already indicated has packed it in at an earlier date. All my fuses in dash and in the engine compartment test fine. If anyone has had a similar experience, I would appreciate the benefit of your thoughts on the matter.

(apologies to Damon Runyon)

The HVAC unit is different from the 99 model. One quick way to know is with the recirculation button, the 99 stays in when on and pops out when off, even if theres no power. On 2000 and up HVAC controls the button pushes in but comes back out.

Sounds like the issue is the controller and its a good start, get the correct part, clear the clog in the drain, and try it again. There's a useful thread on club3g on how to do this it can be found on the knowledge base section under the thread about common issues with the 3G. Most of that applies to the 8G as well.

Yeah, that's the plan, but I really think something fried when I hooked up the wrong part. Could it be one of the two relay-looking things in the fusebox? Or something else?

Won't know until you get the correct one and try it.

Okay, here's the deal: I'm putting the correct one in the car this afternoon. I have no doubt that this will not solve the rear defroster/recirc buttons as they were working perfectly until I put the wrong one in, at which point something audibly fried. all the fuses have now been checked twice. My question is, what are the two relays in the passenger compartment fusebox? The sizzling/pop came from that area, and it's not easy to find any information on relays in galants anywhere, as far as I can tell. Anyone got any info? Thanks in advance.

It is even as I have predicted. New unit in, nothing works but the lights. The blower also is not working, so now I have to figure out if it wasn't the switch in the first place. I will try going over the schematic again but if you've got any ideas, I'm all ears.

Gonna check the voltage going to the blower motor tomorrow. My hunch is that there's no voltage other than dash lights going to the damn thing now.
    Last edited by denniscariot; 09-07-2015 at 08:41 PM

Quote Originally Posted by denniscariot View Post
    Okay, here's the deal: I'm putting the correct one in the car this afternoon. I have no doubt that this will not solve the rear defroster/recirc buttons as they were working perfectly until I put the wrong one in, at which point something audibly fried. all the fuses have now been checked twice. My question is, what are the two relays in the passenger compartment fusebox? The sizzling/pop came from that area, and it's not easy to find any information on relays in galants anywhere, as far as I can tell. Anyone got any info? Thanks in advance.
    Not answering your original question, but if you need information on the relays you can check out the diagrams here -

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...elay-positions

i just fixed the blower motor in my new daily. the motor had went bad and then it fried the resistor as well. if u remove the bottom half of the dash u will see next to the blower motor there is a blower resistor. that goes bad. change the blower and the resistor and that may fix your issue. i doubt its in the climate control
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    i just fixed the blower motor in my new daily. the motor had went bad and then it fried the resistor as well. if u remove the bottom half of the dash u will see next to the blower motor there is a blower resistor. that goes bad. change the blower and the resistor and that may fix your issue. i doubt its in the climate control
    I've been working insane hours so I haven't had time to post but here's the deal: 1) The controller, was, in fact, bad. It was the switch that turns the a/c on when you move the knob to defrost. 2) The motor actually quit. 3) I blew a fuse (maybe I missed it when testing them) which when replaced restored the a/c and rear defogger. The only thing not working now is the fresh/recirc button. Definitely low on the priority list right now, although it does irk me. And thanks, guys, for being so helpful.