The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: just bought 03 Galant - no high beams, no high wiper or intermittent

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

just bought 03 Galant - no high beams, no high wiper or intermittent

Hi, this is my first time posting.

I just bought a 2003 Galant ES, very clean, 160K, starts and runs like a dream. Salvage title from front end damage but well repaired and runs true. Prior owner had it for 30K, no reported problems. I'm really liking the car.

Most all the chassis electrical works. The only issues, so far, are that there are no high beams, and the wipers only work at low speed, no hi or intermittent. With all else in good shape, these didn't seem like deal breakers at the price. Previous owner said he'd replaced the whole steering column switch assembly, but it didn't fix the problem.

Tried the "service manual" link, but it doesn't work.

Can any one suggest places to start looking for how to fix these two problems?

Welcome to TGC! First thing I would do is start searching this forum left and right, so much info on here.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Yes! Love these issues. Have you checked all the fuses? Under the hood and on the left side drivers door dash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Thank you for the replies. I did some searching, and will check fuses.

Not seeing any blown fuses... The haines shows relays, but inside the ECU box ?

This is confusing. This has probably been asked many times, but searches aren't helping, so

does anyone know of reputable places to get, download, or purchase a genuine service manual for the 03 Galant ES ?

There should be a downloadable copy of the service manual here: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...Service-Manual

Thank you for posting, but that link doesn't work:

"No route found for "GET /downloads/category/1-service-manuals""

On google, I did find a photo that matches my engine compartment fuse box, but no text file to say what's where. The cover of the case does show locations, but doesn't specify high beams, and the Haynes schematic shows a high beam relay, but no photo in the 1999-2003 version of the fuse box for my year. Does anyone know where that relay is located?

I still like the car...

Quote Originally Posted by nowefg View Post
    Thank you for posting, but that link doesn't work:

"No route found for "GET /downloads/category/1-service-manuals""
    Take a look at the last page. Usually the comments below with some reading hint as to what happened to the link. It has been reuploaded to another site and requires at least one download per month to stay active.

Take a look here and see, it has quite a bit of information on relay positions, etc -

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...elay-positions

Thanks, gojirars, but I had tried it and it's also a dead link.

Thanks, tamim13. Good diagrams, hopefully they are for the right model year. Point of confusion, though, on the parenthesis for fuse 16/17. It says Front ECU (Headlight Relay:High). It looks like it's saying those fuses go to a relay inside the gray Front ECU box in the main engine compartment fuse box. The fuses themselves are good. I pulled the hi beams and no change, pulled the low beams and the correct lights went out. I notice, too, that there's no dash indicator coming on for the high's, though the switch does feel like it's engaging.

There look to be tabs on the gray box, but I hesitated to see if that gray cover is just a cover, or if the whole thing comes out, and if it does, and it's ECU related, what would I be unplugging and what problem might that cause.

I'm going to see if Mitsubishi sells the manual. Still like the car...