The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6A13TT transmission compatability

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

6A13TT transmission compatability

Im thinking of swapping out the 6g72 for the 6A13TT, but for some reason i cannot find the info to see if it is possible. Basically I need to know if the 3g eclipse manual transmission will mate to the VR4. Trying going to keep it FWD. In my mind it seems it will bolt up. As I found the blocks are identical, with the exception to the internals. Anymore info would be great
    Also... What all is necessary? Other than extending the harness and finding an ECU??
    TIA

-David
    Last edited by 4dohs4mohoes; 01-14-2009 at 08:13 PM

won't fit.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

won't fit
    That's ironic... The more searching I did I found this. Seems as it DOES fit. Just a little bit of fab work is needed. And some electrical work.

From what I've been told by him and moreover from what I've learned and seen myself during the last year (I have it for 1 - 1.5 years now) is that the only thing easy is that the engine mounting points are the same, from that point onwards you run into all kinds of problems:

- firewall
    the turbo that is closest to the firewall does not have enough space, so a bit of hitting/cutting/welding into the firewall to create room for that turbo is needed.

- subframe
    if you should plan to use the V6 n/a subframe than it needs a bit of nip/tuck which is not something you should actually would like, nor is it legal, well at least in NL (it's not that much, and actually not a safety issue, but at an official government test-facility if would fail. so if possible: don't do this and get your hands on an official VR4 subframe

- downpipe
    if you have a vr4 engine with it's orginal downpipe, you'll need quite a bit of cutting done to it as the tunnel that leads the exhaust to the back is quite a bit different compared to the vr4. if you have an aftermarket downpipe you might be in even more trouble (the PS-Iida & upcoming RPW -very similar in design- wont make the bend around the edge of the firewall from the first turbo)

And then there is of course the 'normal' challenges with these kind of engine swaps like the cabling, ECU and getting 'orginal' electrical things working again. For example my cruise control doesn't work anymore with the engine ECU coming from an automatic gearbox VR4 I have been unable to get the cruise control working as of yet...

i have heard of the bell housings being diffrent. if you can find a transmission housing to fit on the block you can have it put on your transmission.

i know it can be done with the 6a12TT

pm GOKU about this he might be able to help you. he knows alot about the 6a platform.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=24264

Search is your friend, this has been discussed, but never fully followed through.

sebring vr4
    good luck i got the same rissue but im putting my 6a13tt into a 97 sebring which has 2.5l sohc

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    For what its worth, I have spoken with JDM Legnum VR4 owners who have told me that they can run complete EVO 4-7 transmissions as long as the car had ACD/AYC. With that being said, we know the EVO 4-8 trans bolts to the 4G64 block, with that being said, its a safe bet that the stock 3g eclipse RS/GS trans would bolt to the 6a13 block. The real nuts and bolts of it is finding a flywheel that would work, and making sure the distance between the side engine/trans mounts was the same distance as the USDM spec car. If the width is the same, that would mean all the other axles, etc would all work out to be fine. The clutch wont be an issue since you can use any 2g/3g clutch as long as the flywheel has the right offset and step height.

That whole ACD/AYC thing wont matter for us USDM guys since we dont have that to deal with. Unless the 6a13 block is larger in width than the US spec V6's, I cant see the need for a custom subframe, if anything you might just need to swap to the US spec V6 subframe.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

just wanna add a bit of info to this thread.. AFAIK, evo 6+ flywheel can be used with 6A13 block.. only thing you need is a spacer and longer flywheel bolts.. (I'm yet to try it)

clutch from evo 6+ will fit straight on with 6A13TT flywheel without any issues..

most (if not all) gearbox internal hardwares from evo 6+ are the same with the ones found in 8G VR4 which obviously use 6A13TT..

I would have to say that the bellhousing between 4G, 6G and 6A engine series are different.. that's what will stop you from completing your project, unless you have $$$ to throw at it.. then by all means.. be the first :)

Dont mirage owners use their 4g transmissions to bolt up to the 6a13? why not PM JDMFTW? he has a 6a13tt with a mirage transmission in his mirage, if the transmissions from a 4g92 fit a 4g64 then there's ur solution